Football: Summer 2023 Transfer Window
We publish below the highlights of the DELOITTE News Release of 2 September 2023:
Records eclipsed as Premier League clubs spend over £2bn for the first time:
- Premier League clubs’ gross spend of £2.36bn is almost £440m higher than the previous record (£1.92bn) set last summer;
- Gross spend in the 2023/24 season (£2.36bn) is already the second-highest ever after the record last season (£2.73bn), with the January transfer window still to come;
- Premier League clubs received a total of £550m in transfer fees from overseas clubs, more than two-and-a-half times higher than ever before (summer 2022: £210m), with £245m of these receipts coming from Saudi Pro League clubs;
- With the exception of La Liga, gross transfer spend increased in all of Europe’s ‘big five’ leagues, with the aggregate expenditure increasing by almost €1.16bn (26%) (2023: €5.68bn; 2022: €4.52bn);
- Only two of Europe’s ‘big five’ leagues spent more on transfers than they received (Premier League: net spend €1.18bn; Ligue 1: net spend €35m; Bundesliga: net receipt €290m; Serie A: net receipt €165m; La Liga: net receipt €115m);
- Championship clubs’ gross spend (£140m) was the highest since before the pandemic (2019: £160m), however the overall net receipt (£320m) was also the highest on record.
The transfer windows for the English Premier League, English Football Leagues, Bundesliga, La Liga, Ligue 1 and Serie A all closed on 1 September 2023.
The transfer window for the Saudi Pro League remains open until 7 September 2023.
For further information, log onto: www.deloitte.co.uk/sportsbusinessgroup